|Restrictions:||(current student at) SCSU applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Program Type:||Host University||Language of Instruction:||English|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10888Minimum Class Eligibility:
|Non-SCSU Student:||No||Housing Options:||Apartments university owned, Host Families|
|Language Courses Offered:||Yes||Credit Type:||Undergraduate|
|Program Length:||Long-Term Program|
This program is hosted by Augsburg College. SCSU applicants will maintain their status as SCSU students by enrolling in 12-16 credits at SCSU. Upon completion of the program, those credits will be replaced with courses taken in Cuernavaca.
Cuernavaca is located 50 miles south of the country’s enormous capital, Mexico City. As the capital of the state of Morelos, both city and state are important in Mexican history. Students can look forward to meeting social workers in Mexico City's state agencies, health centers, and addiction service programs. During the semester, students will also have a two week exchange with Mexican Social Work students from the National Social Work School in Mexico City.
Check out these videos of alumni.
Fast FactsAcademic Calendar: Spring
Credits: 16 Credits
Faculty & Staff: Augsburg Staff & One professor from an affiliated MN/SD University
Housing: University owned house + 4-week Homestay Experience
Meals: Kitchens and cooking areas available
Language of instruction: English
Local Currency: Mexican Peso
Population of Cuernavaca: 1 Million
Students will be studying at Augsburg's Center for Global Education and Experience in Cuernavaca. Most students choose four courses from the following list (click on the course title to view syllabus):
- International Social Welfare: The Mexican Context (required) - 4 cr
- Social Work with Groups and Families: Theory and Practice - 4 cr
- Comparative Social Policy - 4 cr
- Social Work Field Experience - 4 cr
- Spanish— no language prerequisites required; select from more than 16 Spanish language classes
- Recreational Wellness: Latin Dance - 1 cr
Cuernavaca is a blend of ancient Mayan and new mestizo culture. There are numerous Mayan ruins located in and around the capital city. Students can do a day trip to Mexico City to check out el Palacio de Bellas Artes (the palace of fine arts), Metropolitan Cathedra, and el Zocalo in D.F. (the federal district).
SCSU students stay in two houses located on campus. A four-week homestay is also an integral part of the program.
- Sophomore status or above
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- This program is specifically designed for Social Work majors
- Students should first apply with SCSU online
- After completing the SCSU application, students should also apply to the program at Augsburg's website here